How to Set Objectives and Targets for Significant Organizational Impact
Environmental Management Systems (EMS) involve a set of processes and practices that enable an organization to reduce its environmental impacts and increase its operating efficiency. A well-designed EMS can help an organization address its regulatory demands in a systematic manner, thereby reducing the risk of non-compliance. An EMS can also help address non-regulated issues such as pollution prevention, odour management, water usage and energy conservation.
In this one-day course participants will learn about EMS and how it can benefit their organization. Through the use of a Case Study and information they bring about their own organization, participants will leave with a draft EMS for their organization. It will include organizational Environmental Aspect and Impacts and Objectives and Targets for their organization’s significant environmental impacts.
This workshop is offered within organizations for groups of 5 people or more.
Course duration: 1 day
Course language: English
You will spend the first part of the day getting to know participants and discussing what will take place during the workshop. Students will also have an opportunity to identify their personal learning objectives.
This session will show you what an EMS involves, consider three types of EMS’s, and explore why companies develop their own EMS’s.
Developing an EMS
Here, you will be led through the step-by-step process for developing an organizational EMS.
Environmental Aspects and Impacts
Discover how to determine the environmental aspects and impacts of your organization.
This session will allow you to use an Environmental Significance Standard to continue to explore aspects of significance from the previous session.
Objectives and Targets
This session follows up on the previous ones and leads you to determine reasonable Objectives and Targets for the aspects identified earlier.
At the end of the course, students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
• Define an Environmental Management System (EMS), and discover the benefits of establishing one in your organization
• Understand ‘greenwashing’ and ways that your organization can avoid it
• Know the 6 KPI areas as defined by the Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS)
• Know the steps necessary to develop an EMS
• Be able to determine the Environmental Impacts and Aspects within an organization
• Understand and apply an Environmental Significance standard to organizational Environmental Impacts
• Set Objectives and Targets for significant organizational environmental impacts
For more information on this workshop, please contact:
Tel: 613-234-2020, ext. 21