Business Planning in an Era of Restraint
Leadership, supervisory and management
Integrating Strategic, Operational and Workforce Planning for Optimum
This two-day course will provide you with a practical experience of the Business Planning process from a Design Thinking perspective, to reflect current business changes and resource constraints.
Business Planning is a way to “design” and manage work within changing constraints. This interactive workshop will develop your knowledge, confidence and practical skills to plan your work activities as a “design thinker” in times of change.
By the end of this seminar, you will be able to:
- An integrated perspective on multiple components of the business environment that need to be addressed to prepare a sound business plan
- Learned about updated frameworks that explain how to plan in situations of turbulence and complexity, while developing resilience in times of restraint
- Produced a sample business plan that includes an environmental scan, identification of priorities and risks, implementation requirements and measures of success
- Experienced Business Planning as a creative and collaborative prototyping experience
Designing for the Future
- Review of planning components: vision, processes, structure, people
- How to turn upheaval into opportunity
- How to develop assumptions about resources, risks and success in an era of restraint
- How to think strategically and creatively about the future
Designing the Plan
- Making the planning experience worthwhile
- How to use the toolbox of design thinking to plan in a way that is more adaptive, creative, and responsive to client and employee needs
- Design lab: prototyping a business plan to meet your mandate:
- What are the right questions to ask?
- What strengths can you build on?
- The benefits of learning while doing – research, collaboration, reflection
- Defining metrics for results and impact, and creating a baseline of data
- Incorporating organizational requirements such as MAF (Management Accountability Framework), and public sector values
- Becoming a more effective planner in times of transition
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Management and staff who need to integrate strategic, operational and workforce planning.