Using Positive Influencing Skills in the Workplace
Interpersonal and communication skills
Understanding Power, Culture and Influence to Work More Effectively
Many people understandably dislike the concept of office politics since it brings to mind manipulation, questionable tactics and closed doors. Yet politics need not be dirty. In fact, an understanding of office politics is a critical element in gaining resources and information to do your job. To be effective in any organization, political skill is needed.
Through facilitated discussion, exercises, role play and brainstorming, this workshop will show you how to reframe the concept of office politics into a positive force. You’ll discover how to use different types of power; work effectively with others; build influence; understand the political give-and-take of any organization; and maintain high integrity.
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Recognize that office politics can be perceived constructively and do not have to be manipulative or “dirty”
- Define different types of power and distinguish positive from negative uses of power
- Identify and improve the work climate within the office from defensive to supportive
- Handle various types of difficult people we work with daily, using special communication skills
- Build influence through a number of specific actions
- Define personal and corporate values and make choices about reconciling differences
Why Should We Increase our Sphere of Influence?
How Are You Being Influenced?
How Much Influence Do You Really Have?
Defining Power and Influence
Understanding the Difference between Power and Authority
The Power Continuum
- 17 ways we can give away our power
12 Principles of Influence
The 6 Key Principles of Persuasion
Politics, Influence, and You: Understand your Work Context
- What is your organizational culture?
- Political sensitivity
- Analyze your workplace interpersonal climate
Politics, Influence, and You: Get Started
- What are your values and where do they fit in all this?
- Choosing where can you have positive influence
Learning to Communicate Persuasively
- Open-ended questions and questions to avoid
- Verifying perceptions
- The power of positive language
- Exploratory language
- How to positively influence through feedback
- Feedback Do’s and Don’ts
The basic principles of negotiation
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Anyone who wishes to improve their work climate, build influence, or work more effectively with others.
This workshop addresses:
- Adaptability / Flexibility
- Change Management and Leadership
- Conflict Resolution
- Creative Thinking
- Decision Making / Decisiveness
- Dealing with Difficult Situations
- Emotional Intelligence
- Engagement and Motivation
- Impact and Influence
- Interpersonal Relations
- Negotiating Techniques
- Problem Solving
- Relationship / Network Building
- Self Confidence / Self Esteem
- Teamwork / Cooperation
- Values and Ethics
- Working with Others
To learn more about core competencies, click here.