Presenting Briefings in Plain Language
Interpersonal and communication skills
Techniques to Deliver Briefings That Inform and Influence
The ability to succinctly brief others in plain language is a highly valued competency in today’s fast-paced workplace. This expertise requires the writer and speaker to clearly understand the issue, structure their message in a way that is easy to comprehend, and deliver it effectively.
Participants will learn how people read and listen today, how to plan and fine-tune effective briefings, and how to deliver them clearly and succinctly. They will also know how to put together and use effective decks that accompany these briefings.
Participants will leave this interactive workshop with techniques, strategies, and tips for framing issues, focusing on what recipients remember, and presenting information in a clear, concise manner. Each participant will receive a detailed workbook that is theirs to keep.
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand how people read and consume information
- Deliver briefings that inform or aid in decision making
- Summarize information clearly and concisely
- Develop a plan with clear communication objectives
- Quickly emphasize the key points in a briefing
- Organize their briefing for maximum impact and influence
- Brief others more confidently
Before You Write or Speak — Plan
- Concise, precise communication
- Communicating today
- The six Cs of communication
- The process
Draft and Hone Your Message
- Prepare your draft
- Be persuasive
- Use plain language
- Emphasis transitions
- Prepare for the medium (written, oral, both together)
- The three Vs of an oral presentation: visual, vocal, verbal
- Incorporating visuals (if using)
Putting it All Together and Presenting
- Practise presenting
- Thinking on the spot
- Avoiding common pitfalls
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Anyone who needs to present briefings to management and stakeholders and wants to learn how to do so clearly, concisely and with confidence.