Skills for Effective Presentations
Interpersonal and communication skills
Practical Skills to Build Your Effectiveness as a Public Speaker
Designed for small groups, the workshop is led by an experienced public speaker who will entertain, inform and inspire you to deliver effective virtual and in-person presentations.
Does speaking in front of a room of people make your heart beat faster, your hands sweat and your knees go weak? Would you like to master the art of public speaking? Do you want to have a greater impact on your audience?
The impact we have is largely based on how well we communicate our ideas. Whether we are providing information to an internal audience or making an impassioned plea externally, we need to be confident in our ability to express ourselves.
This two-day workshop is specifically designed to reduce the anxiety of public speaking and help you gain competence and confidence. Gain practical tips that you can apply immediately. You will participate in a number of different exercises and also have a chance to do a mini presentation and gain immediate feedback and coaching.
If you are already an experienced presenter, please consult Advanced Presentation Skills.
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Develop a personal strategy to prepare your presentation
- Communicate your ideas with greater confidence and authority
- Use relaxation techniques that work
- Earn respect in front of the room
- Feel more authentic the next time you need to present
- Defining your purpose
- Analyzing your audience
- Developing your presentation
- The crucial first minute
- Holding the audience’s attention
- Classic closings
- Virtual presentation tips: how to use online tools as well as your presence to better engage your audience.
Tips and Tricks for Maximum Impact
- Handling questions and answers
- Setting the tone
- How to keep your audience’s attention
- Use of visual aids to support your presentation
- The artful use of body language (if presenting in person)
- Maintaining eye contact (even during virtual presentations)
- The power of voice projection, tone, intonation, and pacing
- Appropriate use of humour
- How to use “the stage”
- Finding what’s natural for you
- Introvert/Extrovert – why does it matter?
- Rehearsal techniques
- The balance between memorizing, reading a script and speaking to your notes
- Virtual vs. in-person – how to make the best of it
Giving a presentation
- Overcoming the anxiety of presenting
- Tools to remain calm before and during a presentation
- Breathing, pacing, and relaxation techniques
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Anyone who feels inexperienced or nervous giving presentations, presents occasionally or needs a refresher on best presentation practices.
For more experienced presenters we recommend Advanced Presentation Skills.
This workshop addresses:
- Achievement / Results Orientation
- Adaptability / Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Client Service
- Computer and Digital Technology
- Document Use
- Engagement and Motivation
- Impact and Influence
- Innovation and Initiative
- Interpersonal Relations
- Policy Development
- Public Speaking / Presenting
- Reading Skills
- Relationship / Network Building
- Self Confidence / Self Esteem
- Writing Skills
To learn more about core competencies, click here.