Management Skills for Administrative Professionals
Extend Your Influence and Increase the Value of Your Role
Management is frequently described as the art of getting work done through others. This requires a set of skills and talents that Administrative Professionals can develop to extend their influence, meet their manager’s expectations, create a professional image, take initiative, solve problems, resolve conflict, plan current and future activities, and have a springboard for career development.
If you are in the role of executive secretary or administrative assistant you’ll find this workshop to be essential to your present job and critical to your future.
This workshop is not a lecture. It is a “hands on” opportunity to identify your existing management skills, develop new skills and bring increased opportunity to your organization and to you personally.
The list of practical exercises includes confidence & conflict resolution role-plays as well as a ‘guess my personality type’ exercise based on the True Colors personality indicator. For prioritization, students will learn how to create a Daily Map in order to prioritize tasks.
At the end of this seminar, participants will be able to:
- Apply the same skills for your admin responsibilities that all managers use
- Have the confidence to succeed when your manager delegates work to you
- Use 7 essential management skills to get the job done
- Communicate your answers and questions with confidence
- Understand and adapt to different personality types
- Manage your time and your manager’s expectations
- Influence others to get their support and commitment
- What is My Value as an Admin Professional?
- Where the administrative professional fits
- Shifting Your Perspective – Transforming Negative Thoughts
- Power vs. Authority – Understanding Your Power
- Identifying your power base, determining the limits of your authority and extending your influence
- The 7 Essential Management Skills for every Admin
- How to Enable your Manager using Core Values
- Leading without the ‘Title’
- First Impressions and Creating a Professional Image
- What does your Body Language Convey to Others?
- Understanding and Adapting to Different Personality Types
- Communicating What’s Most Important to You on the Job
- How to Effectively use a To-Do-List – The Daily Map
- Meeting Expectations and Learning Gentle No’s
- Meeting Management and Your Time
- Managing Conflict
- Discover an Effective Communication Tool to provide Feedback and Assert Yourself Wisely
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Anyone working in an administrative role who wishes to increase the value they provide to their organization.
This workshop addresses:
- Achievement / Results Orientation
- Adaptability / Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Change Management and Leadership
- Client Service
- Computer and Digital Technology
- Conflict Resolution
- Decision Making / Decisiveness
- Dealing with Difficult Situations
- Document Use
- Engagement and Motivation
- Impact and Influence
- Innovation and Initiative
- Interpersonal Relations
- Management Excellence
- Planning / Organizing
- Problem Solving
- Relationship / Network Building
- Strategic Thinking
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Values and Ethics
- Working with Data and Numbers
- Working with Others
- Workload and Time Management
To learn more about core competencies, click here.