Skills and Techniques to Help You be a Successful Consultant
Every day Canadian organizations in the public and private sector use the services of thousands of consultants. Whether in technology, processes, human resources or other areas, the demand is driven by the need for timely, competent and cost-effective assistance in overcoming problems, adding expert advice and increasing sustainable organizational capability.
Although technical competence and experience are fundamental, these attributes alone do not equip someone to function in a consulting capacity. This workshop will provide an introduction to the skills, behaviours, processes and personality required to be a successful client-centred consultant.
“Probably one of the best workshops I have had in my career. Thank you so much for a fantastic training day. Very motivating and inspiring.”
-Marie-Claire Barnes, Canadian Heritage
This workshop is offered within organizations for groups of 5 people or more.
- The nature of the consulting role
- The market: are your skills in demand?
- Client-centered consulting
- The consultant-client relationship
- Consulting competencies—self assessment
- Intervention styles
- Assessing client readiness for change
- The use of diagnostics
- The consulting cycle
- Gaining entry
- Collecting data
- Analyzing data
- Generating options
- Internal / external consultants—differences
- Helpful models
- Seven forces
- Force field
- Kotters Phases of Change
- Socio-technical analysis
- 7s Framework
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand the skills, behaviours and personality required to be a successful consultant
- Understand and communicate the value of internal or external consulting services
- Form effective partnerships
- Apply proven techniques to truly understand a client’s situation
- Develop new client relationships
Who Should Attend?
This course will be of interest for anyone working in a consulting capacity who wishes to improve or polish their skills and anyone who is considering a career move into either internal consulting or operating independently. Each area will be addressed in a structured way but the facilitation will be adjusted somewhat dependent on the needs of each group.
For more information on this workshop, please contact:
Tel: 613-234-2020, ext. 21