Critical Elements for an Effective Board Member
The role of board member is oftentimes misunderstood and can lead to conflicts or misunderstanding between board and staff. This program helps to demystify the role and expectations of Board members.
This two-day session is suitable for Boards of Directors of Non-Profit Organizations, and/or anyone setting up procedures and policies related to board members.
This workshop is offered within organizations for groups of 5 people or more.
• Roles and responsibilities
• Getting a clear understanding of Good Governance and the importance of knowing your role AND responsibilities on a Board, both from a representative as well as a legal perspective
• Different types of Representation (Trustee, Delegate, Advocate, etc)
• Identifying your own belief about representative roles
• Understanding potential sources of conflict during decision making and communications based on unexpressed style of representation
• Understanding strategy versus operations
• Attributes of a strategic thinker
• Asking the right questions
• Organizational culture and team strategic thinking
• Identifying the Board’s objectives
• What is the mission and vision? Purpose?
• Aligning with the strategic plan
• Establishing Ground Rules for Working Together (Communications, Meetings, who is responsible for what? How will conflicts be resolved?)
• Identifying the critical elements of meeting planning
• What to prepare for an effective meeting
• How to run an effective meeting
• Who to invite for a meeting to be effective
• How to set realistic meeting objectives
• The Chair’s role
For more information on this workshop, please contact:
Tel: 613-234-2020, ext. 21