Techniques and Strategies to Negotiate and Mediate Real-Life Scenarios
Negotiation is a process in which two or more parties communicate directly in search of agreement on some action. Mediation is the process by which a neutral or third party, upon being asked to do so, negotiates a dispute between parties. Whether it is negotiating a deal or resolving a dispute, we all have situations that require negotiation and mediation skills that can help us achieve positive outcomes for ourselves and those around us.
This two-day workshop will explore concepts, theories, and processes relevant to effective negotiation and mediation. Participants will learn about conflict, negotiation, mediation and facilitated problem-solving that can help them in their day-to-day life experiences or in the workplace. This workshop will offer a mix of negotiation and mediation concepts, group exercises, and case studies.
This workshop is offered within organizations for groups of 5 people or more.
Course duration: 2 days
Course language: English
What is Conflict?
• What Causes Conflict?
• Choices in Responding to Conflict
• Types and Sources of Conflict
• Interventions for Addressing Conflict
• The Four Principles of Cooperative Negotiation
What is Negotiation?
• Defining Negotiation
• The Need for Negotiation
• Positional Bargaining
• Collaborative or Cooperative Negotiating
Preparing to Negotiate
• Preliminary Steps in Negotiation
• Key Points in Negotiation
• Patterns of Negotiation
What is Mediation?
• Defining Mediation
• The Role of the Mediator
• Culture, Gender and Power as Factors in Mediation
• Different Theories in Mediation
The Mediation Process
• The Stages of Mediation
• The Mediator’s Role in Determining Interests
Negotiation and Mediation Skills
• Active Listening
• Communication Skills
• Observation Skills
• Questioning Skills
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
• Acquire a broad understanding of personal and situational variables that influence conflict
• Become acquainted with the range of options and best practices for approaching conflict
• Learn how to negotiate and mediate real-life scenarios
• Be able to apply the knowledge and concepts of negotiation and mediation in a meaningful way
Who Should Attend?
Anyone who would like to learn more about negotiation and mediation concepts. This can include individuals, organizations, or community groups and organizers at all levels.
For more information on this workshop, please contact:
Tel: 613-234-2020, ext. 21