Get Your Message Across Clearly and Effectively
Through effective communication skills, you can enhance your credibility and confidence, earn respect and gain buy-in for your ideas, as well as accomplish any objectives.
Conversations form the basis of our human interaction and relationships. In this fast-paced world where time is a precious commodity, it becomes extremely important to transmit and receive ideas and messages accurately and effectively. Critical conversations go beyond a mere exchange of words and gestures to reveal a depth of understanding masked by personal judgements, biases and other barriers to communication.
This course will enable participants to learn how to approach each conversation as an essential component to the development of all personal, business and social relationships.
This workshop is offered within organizations for groups of 5 people or more.
Course duration: 1 day
Course language: English
How to ‘listen with meaning’ by identifying and understanding both the content and the feelings of the other
- Identify the barriers to successful communication and how to overcome these barriers
- Build trust within a collegial or social relationship by acquiring the skill of empathetic listening
- Explore the power of verbal and non-verbal language
- How to use effective questioning techniques
- Practice the use of the three R’s communication strategy: restating, reflecting and reframing
- Learn and practice a four step model of Active Listening, which will increase the ability to listen and empathize with another and then respond appropriately
Recognize the emotions, biases and desired outcomes one brings into any conversation
- How to suspend judgment in order to check for understanding
- Reflect on personal experiences to identify and build-on positive encounters and learn from and improve negative conversational encounters
- Acquire skills to deal with anger, resolve conflict and cope with arguments
- Develop strategies to overcome the usage of Linguistic Viruses
- Linguistic viruses create unhealthy communication by:
- making unclear requests of another
- making requests in the tone (or mood) of a demand
- asserting one’s ungrounded opinion as factual for everyone
- not possessing the ability to say ‘no’ to an unreasonable or impossible request or assuming that the other will ‘know’ what is desired, without even making a request
How to receive constructive feedback for positive personal growth and the development of the relationship
- Learn how to foster positive attitudes by providing and receiving effective feedback
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Listen to others empathically
- Use active listening skills to achieve personal and organizational success
- Improve working and personal relationships
- Model proactive listening skills for others to emulate
- Understand your old listening tendencies and implement more effective active listening patterns
Who Should Attend?
Anyone who wants to improve their ability to understand and communicate more effectively with others.
For more information on this workshop, please contact:
Tel: 613-234-2020, ext. 21