Writing Effective Briefing Notes – Online Workshop (V206) - NEW
Techniques for Writing Concisely and Persuasively
This course will be scheduled in the near future. We will add dates to the website as soon as they become available. For more information please contact Sophie at email@example.com.
Briefing notes are an essential means for staff to inform, advise, and influence the decision-making process in public and private sector organizations.
This workshop uses practical exercises to develop skills in planning and writing briefing notes that aid effective decision-making. You will learn techniques for summarizing complex information, and in writing concisely and persuasively.
The workshop is highly interactive and you are encouraged to try out new skills in a fun, no-risk environment. Participants are invited to bring samples of their work for review by the instructor.
This is a one-day virtual live workshop, split into two half-day sessions.
Space is still available for all course dates listed, unless otherwise noted.
By the end of this virtual workshop, you will be able to:
- Identify the purpose of the briefing note as an aid to decision-making
- Use your in-house templates correctly
- Develop skills in formulating a plan with clear communication objectives
- Develop skills in planning research and the collection of information
- Develop skills in writing the first draft from a plan
- Develop skills in summarizing complex information
- Develop skills in editing and proofreading
Please follow and like us:
The Purpose of Briefing Notes
- How the senior manager uses briefing notes to make decisions and recommendations
- How to analyze the needs and interests of the receiver in terms of:
– Outcomes or results
– Optimization of resources
- Consequences and implications of incomplete, incorrect, or unclear briefing notes
– For the decision-making process
– For freedom of Information legislation
The Structure of Briefing Notes
- Briefing note templates vary from one organization to another. The trainer will relate the key learning points to different templates:
– Next steps
- Overview of different types of notes
The Importance of Planning
The 4 Stages of Effective Writing
- Pre-writing and planning
How to Use Planning Models
- Identifying central idea/main points/sub-points
- Using single words/short phrases
- Using mind-mapping
- Analyzing receiver’s needs/interests
- Formulating communication objectives
Who Should Attend This Course?
Anyone who needs to write briefing notes as part of their job.
Does This Course Address Your Competency Development Needs?
This training workshop addresses:
• Analytical Thinking
• Computer and Digital Technology
• Decision Making / Decisiveness
• Document Use
• Engagement and Motivation
• Impact and Influence
• Planning / Organizing
• Policy Development
• Reading Skills
• Research, Analysis and Evaluation
• Writing Skills