Financial Planning for Retirement (P230)
Meeting Your Goals through Proper Preparation
This course will be scheduled in the fall of 2022. We will add dates to the website as soon as they become available. For more information please contact Leila at email@example.com.
Are you a member of the Public Service who will be reaching retirement age over the next five to ten years? This comprehensive course features an expert in pension and financial issues who will provide you with the necessary knowledge and tools to help you develop an individual retirement plan to meet your goals.
This is a one-day workshop in Ottawa.
Special Offer: spouses of paying participants are welcome to attend the workshop at no additional cost.
- Participant must pay the full price of the workshop for their own registration – no discounts apply.
- Spouses are required to attend on the same day as the paying participant. If the paying participant cannot attend, their spouse cannot attend.
- Paying participant must be the person requesting to register their spouse.
- Offer is subject to space availability.
- PMC reserves the right to cancel this offer without notice.
If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Leila Montgomery at 613-234-2020, ext. 18. Online registration is not available for this offer.
Note: This course is available as a stand-alone workshop, or you can enhance your learning by taking the companion workshop, Life Planning for Retirement (P229).
Space is still available for all course dates listed, unless otherwise noted.
By the end of this seminar, you will be able to:
- Identify your unique pre- and post-retirement financial priorities
- Understand the retirement income options available
- Apply the planning tools that will assist you in reaching your financial goals
- Gain the knowledge and confidence required to communicate with financial and/or other institutions
- Discern the benefits and implications of earning post-retirement income
- Achieve and enjoy a rewarding retirement
- Everything you need to know about the Public Service Superannuation Act (PSSA), the Canada Pension Plan / Quebec Pension Plan, and Old Age Security Program
About the Different Regimes: CPP, OAS, QPP, PSSA
- What they are
- Who is eligible
- How to apply
- What benefits are available under each regime
How Benefits are Calculated and the Impact of:
- Length of time living in Canada
- Staying home with children for a few years
- Divorce or separation
- Same sex marriage and common law spouses
The Investment Management Process
- Investment objectives
- Investment asset classes
- Strategic asset allocation
- Investment solutions
Estate Planning and Risk Management
- Planning the will
- Death and taxes
- Powers of attorney
- Insurance options
- Important elements of a financial plan
- Cash flow statement
- Net worth statement
- Setting goals
- Working with advisors
- How to recover if you are starting late
- The basics of RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSA and annuities
- Why it is important to have a variety of tax structures
The Canadian Income Tax Act
- Overview and structure of the Income Tax Act
- Why the Act is important to you
- How to use the Income Tax Act to your advantage
- Use of RRSPs and TFSAs for employees with pensions
- Alternative savings vehicles, investment accounts, real estate and rental properties, mutual funds
- Why tax investment structures are important to your retirement planning and how to use them
- Tax planning strategies for retirement
Who Should Attend This Course?
Anyone who is interested in having a meaningful retirement whether you are near the end of your current career or at the beginning.
Does This Course Address Your Competency Development Needs?
This training workshop addresses:
• Analytical Thinking
• Creative Thinking
• Decision Making / Decisiveness
• Innovation / Initiative
• Planning / Organizing
• Problem Solving
• Relationship / Network Building
• Research / Analysis / Evaluation
• Self Confidence / Self Esteem