Understanding and Using Conflict Styles to Manage Difficult Situations
Conflict is a part of life. In the workplace, whether we are in a position of authority or not, we need to manage our interactions with people. Conflict, if left unresolved, can cause people to feel resentful and avoid each other. The result is lower productivity and increased stress, absenteeism and turnover.
Knowing how to resolve conflict effectively is a core competency that can dramatically improve your ability to achieve success in the workplace.
The key to resolving conflict begins with self-awareness. In this workshop you’ll explore the five major styles of conflict management and the best use of each style. Using a culturally flexible personality assessment tool — Style Matters: The Kraybill Conflict Style Inventory — you’ll gain insight into the styles you prefer the most and the least and how to optimize your preferred style for maximum results. You’ll also identify your own emotional triggers, and learn how you may react differently to conflict when it becomes more intense.
You’ll build skills for reaching effective solutions, and learn how to manage difficult encounters with skill, tact and credibility.
This is a 2-hour Virtual Instructor-Led Training workshop, accessible wherever internet service is available. Learn more about PMC’s Virtual Live Classroom program here.
Download the Registration Form for this workshop.
Pre-Class: Before participating in the virtual live class, you will complete an online questionnaire that takes about 15 minutes. Following, you will be provided with your Style Matters personal assessment profile, which will be used in the live workshop.
By the end of this workshop, you will have gained:
• Increased understanding of conflict triggers and causes
• An awareness of the different styles of conflict resolution and the best use of each
• A deeper understanding of ourselves and others when it comes to resolving conflict
• Concrete strategies for achieving successful resolution results
Overview of Conflict Resolution
• What is conflict?
• The greatest challenges in handling conflict
• Triggers and causes of conflict
• What is conflict resolution?
Conflict Resolution Styles
Finding Common Ground and Creating Solutions
• Creating effective and safe environments to resolve conflict
• Setting expectations around the purpose and goal of dealing with conflict
• Keeping emotions in check and focusing on the facts
• Common conflict situations
• Practicing the resolution strategies
• Overview of key learning objectives
• Priority take-away information
• Questions and answers
Who Should Attend This Workshop?
Anyone who wants to build understanding and better relationships to succeed in the collaborative environments of today’s knowledge economy.
Brodie C. is a Certified Training Practitioner (CTP) and has experience working with a wide range of industries in various capacities including leadership and human resources. As a seasoned facilitator, he has designed and delivered workshops for a diverse range of participants, from front-line staff to senior leadership audiences. His HR background, coupled with an emphasis on communication, has contributed to an in depth focus on conflict resolution. Brodie takes pride in adapting his training solutions to suit participant needs. His energy, passion and desire to see others succeed leads to a creative and results-focused learning environment.
This workshop will help you develop the following competencies:
• Client Service
• Conflict Resolution
• Decision Making / Decisiveness
• Dealing with Difficult Situations
• Emotional Intelligence
• Engagement and Motivation
• Impact and Influence
• Interpersonal Relations
• Management Excellence
• Negotiating Techniques
• Problem Solving
• Relationship / Network Building
• Self Confidence / Self Esteem
• Teamwork and Cooperation
• Values and Ethics
• Working with Others