Active Listening Skills (P766)
Techniques to Achieve Personal and Organizational Success
This course is currently being delivered as a live, instructor-led session online. See dates in the online section to the right.
As workplaces become busier, and organizational change becomes the norm, the art of effective listening becomes all the more valuable. Good listeners find themselves involved in interesting work, healthy working relationships and long term career success. This is no coincidence. Effective listening skills are a large part of personal success in the workplace.
The difference between hearing someone and listening to someone is enormous. Making colleagues feel you are truly understanding not only their words but their personal point of view can change office dynamics in a profound way. Active listening has a way of making those you are communicating with feel valued and understood.
In this highly interactive workshop participants can expect to not only learn the theory behind active listening but also to engage in participatory exercises and activities to practice the learned skill of active listening.
This is a one-day workshop in Ottawa.
Space is still available for all course dates listed, unless otherwise noted.
By the end of this seminar, you will be able to:
- Listen to others empathically
- Be able to use active listening skills to achieve personal and organizational success
- Improve working and personal relationships
- Model proactive listening skills for others to emulate
- Understand your old listening tendencies and implement more effective active listening patterns
- Hearing something doesn’t actually mean you’re listening and other myths
- Typical patterns of communication, where is it going all wrong?
- Proactive vs. passive listening
- Understanding the common pitfalls of passive listening
- Developing active listening skills
- Empathic listening
- Listening from the heart and head
- Shaping your language so that others know you are listening actively
- Ridding yourself of internal judgements
- Listening patterns, how to establish new habits when listening
- Listening with the big picture in mind
- Achieving success with proactive language and attitudes
Who Should Attend This Course?
Anyone who wants to improve their ability to understand and communicate more effectively with others.
Does This Course Address Your Competency Development Needs?
This training workshop addresses:
• Analytical Thinking
• Change Management and Leadership
• Client Service
• Conflict Resolution
• Decision Making/Decisiveness
• Dealing with Difficult Situations
• Emotional Intelligence
• Engagement and Motivation
• Impact and Influence
• Innovation and Initiative
• Interpersonal Relations
• Learning Support/Continuous Learning
• Management Excellence
• Negotiating Techniques
• Problem Solving
• Project Management
• Relationship/Network Building
• Research, Analysis and Evaluation
• Teamwork and Cooperation
• Values and Ethics
• Working with Others