Working and Communicating More Effectively with People from Other Cultures
The Canadian workplace is becoming increasingly more diverse, and this brings new challenges to which all must respond. Employees have the challenge of working in new ways with other employees, of being part of an effective team where the members are unlike each other in race, culture, language, or customs. Managers need to create an inclusive environment in which all employees understand, value, and respect each others’ differences.
This workshop is offered within organizations for groups of 5 people or more.
Course duration: 1 day
• The changing demographics in Canada
• ‘The Canadian Way’: what are our values?
• Culture: adapt or retain—where cultures clash
• How we ‘work’ in Canada: the unwritten rules
• How other cultures ‘work’: different expectations and assumptions
• Causes of cross-cultural communication breakdown
• Cross-cultural communication Do’s and taboos
• Giving feedback in a culturally sensitive way
• Your communication ‘style’
• Cultural differences in communications styles
• ‘Reading’ someone from another culture: how cultural behaviours can be misinterpreted
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
• Explain the cultural differences in Canada in order to more fully understand and appreciate how to work more effectively and respectfully with persons from other cultures; and to communicate more effectively with people from other cultures who may differ in their communication styles, preferences and assumptions.
Who Should Attend?
This one-day training workshop is designed for employees who work within a multicultural environment or provide service to a multicultural clientele – whether internal or external.
For more information on this workshop, please contact:
Tel: 613-234-2020, ext. 21