Techniques and Skills to Help Improve your English Language Proficiency
Many people who have learned English as a Second Language find their language proficiency reaches a plateau. This often happens at an intermediate level and from there it becomes harder to increase language proficiency, especially when coping with job demands at the same time. You know English well enough to do your job but without increased proficiency you are not able to progress to higher levels of responsibility.
In this one-day workshop we will explore some of the skills that can help to improve language proficiency. We consider the importance of vocabulary, grammar and the connection between language and culture as used in the workplace. We will also develop personal strategies to enable you to continue improving your English proficiency once the workshop has finished. This course is highly interactive with many opportunities to practise language skills in a positive, supportive environment.
This workshop is offered within organizations for groups of 5 people or more.
English Language Learning
• Brief overview of how English is taught as a second language
• Problems and pitfalls within English
• Sentence structure and organization
• Verb tenses including modal verbs
• Pronoun use
• Using the active voice
• When spell-check and grammar-check do not help
• How a bigger vocabulary will help you
• Increasing your own vocabulary
• The Greek and Latin influence
• How to use idioms and formulaic expressions
• Commonly confused words and expressions
• Some reading tips
Writing and Speaking
• Consider your audience
• Structuring your message
• ‘Small talk’
• Using clear and concise language
• The importance of using your own ‘voice’
The Complete Package
• Differences and overlaps between informal and formal communication
• The connection between language and culture
• Non-verbal communication
An Overview of Useful Resources
• Creating your own learning map for future learning
• Additional resources to consider
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
• Possess skills to improve your own language proficiency
• Communicate in the workplace with more confidence
• Use clear, concise language to deliver your message effectively
• Handle communication breakdown with more confidence
• Identify resources to help you continue to improve your language proficiency
Who Should Attend?
ESL speakers who would like to improve their English language proficiency in order to acquire more confidence in general workplace communication, or those who would like to apply for promotion but feel held back because of their current language level.
For more information on this workshop, please contact:
Tel: 613-234-2020, ext. 21