Using Positive Influencing Skills in the Workplace – 2 Day Online Workshop (PV217)
Understanding Power, Culture and Influence to Work More Effectively
This course will be scheduled in the fall of 2021. We will add dates to the website as soon as they become available. For more information please contact Leila at email@example.com.
Many people understandably dislike the concept of office politics since it brings to mind manipulation, questionable tactics and closed doors. Yet politics need not be dirty. In fact, an understanding of office politics is a critical element in gaining resources and information to do your job. To be effective in any organization, political skill is needed.
Through facilitated discussion, exercises, role play and brainstorming, this workshop will show you how to reframe the concept of office politics into a positive force. You’ll discover how to use different types of power; work effectively with others; build influence; understand the political give-and-take of any organization; and maintain high integrity.
This is a two-day virtual live workshop.
Space is still available for all course dates listed, unless otherwise noted.
By the end of this virtual workshop, you will be able to:
- Recognize that office politics can be perceived constructively and do not have to be manipulative or “dirty”
- Distinguish negative from positive uses of power, understand how you give away your power, and define and learn to leverage various power sources
- Analyze your work culture, and identify and improve the work climate within the office from defensive to supportive
- Handle various types of difficult situations and people you work with daily, using targeted communication skills
- Identify and overcome barriers, and develop strategies to successfully influence up in your organization
- Define personal and corporate values and make choices about reconciling differences
Why Should We Increase our Sphere of Influence?
How Are You Being Influenced and How Much Influence Do You Really Have?
Defining Power, Influence and Authority
The Power Continuum
- Positive and negative power
- Sources of power
- How we give away our power
The Psychology of Persuasion
The 3 Approaches to Influencing
Boiling it Down: 13 Principles of Influence
Politics, Influence, and You: Understanding your Work Context
- Understand your organizational culture
- Analyze your workplace interpersonal climate
- Barriers to influencing up
- Identifying useful ‘currencies’
- Plan your strategy: applying the Cohen-Bradford influencing model
Learning to Communicate Persuasively
- Using your communication style to influence
- Exploratory language for better outcomes: probing questions, verifying perceptions, exploring options
- Assertive language: influencing difficult situations and people
- The power of positive language
- The power of body language
- Negotiating for a win-win
Politics, Influence, and You: Get Started
- What are your values and where do they fit in all this?
- Choosing where can you have positive influence and making a plan
Who Should Attend This Course?
Anyone who wishes to improve their work climate, build influence, or work more effectively with others.
Does This Course Address Your Competency Development Needs?
This training workshop addresses:
• Adaptability / Flexibility
• Change Management and Leadership
• Conflict Resolution
• Creative Thinking
• Decision Making / Decisiveness
• Dealing with Difficult Situations
• Emotional Intelligence
• Engagement and Motivation
• Impact and Influence
• Interpersonal Relations
• Negotiating Techniques
• Problem Solving
• Relationship / Network Building
• Self Confidence / Self Esteem
• Teamwork / Cooperation
• Values and Ethics
• Working with Others