Preparing for a Parliamentary Committee (P256) - NEW
How to Appear Before Government Committees with Confidence
Committees are an important procedural tool of Parliament at both the Senate and the House of Commons. A committee is a working group that is established to review bills and existing legislation, and to study and evaluate government programs and policies. As part of these studies individuals may be invited or they can request to appear before them, or present a written brief. This workshop will provide you with the tools to effectively present at a parliamentary committee.
This is a one-day workshop in Ottawa.
Space is still available for all course dates listed, unless otherwise noted.
By the end of this seminar, you will better understand:
- Why you should ask to present before Committee
- The role of each of the members and the support staff
- The process of Committee studies
- How to prepare for an appearance before a parliamentary committee
- What rules apply
- How to get your or your organization’s message across in an effective manner
- Interactions with other witnesses
- How to find an “ally” among the parliamentarians
- What follow-ups might be expected
- How you can follow the study and build on it
Please follow and like us:
- How does Parliament work?
- Researching the Committee and member viewpoints and issues
- How to research the history of the relevant study
- What do you want to accomplish with this appearance?
- Preparing an opening statement and consideration of a presentation or material for the Committee
- How to plan for Members’ questions
- What to do when you leave?
- Mock appearance: opening statement, Member questions and debate
Register for this workshop
Once you register the first attendee, you’ll have the ability to add additional attendees or purchase other workshops
Who Should Attend This Course?
This workshop will assist stakeholders, Indigenous governments and organizations, and public servants in preparing for appearances at House or Senate Committee meetings for review of government legislation and policy.
Does This Course Address Your Competency Development Needs?
This training workshop addresses:
• Analytical Thinking
• Creative Thinking
• Dealing with Difficult Situations
• Engagement and Motivation
• Emotional Intelligence
• Impact / Influence
• Innovation and Initiative
• Interpersonal Relations
• Learning Support / Continuous Learning
• Management Excellence
• Organizational Knowledge
• Problem Solving
• Public Speaking / Presentations
• Reading Skills
• Research, Analysis and Evaluation
• Relationship / Network Building
• Self Confidence/Self Esteem
• Strategic Thinking
• Teamwork and Cooperation
• Working With Others
• Writing Skills