Making the Transition from Co-Worker to Team Leader (P810)
Building Effectively on Your Past Relationships for Your New Role
This course will be delivered two ways:
• In person (in classroom) in Ottawa
• Live, instructor-led session online
Please check available dates in the two sections on the right, and click the corresponding REGISTER ONLINE button for your choice.
It is seldom easy to assume a position of authority over those who have previously been your colleagues and peers. This workshop will help you address the challenges and difficulties of making the transition from co-worker to boss. You’ll learn tools and techniques to achieve a balance between your existing relationships with co-workers and the requirements of the new management role.
The workshop is interactive and fun, making use of case studies and role play.
This is a one-day workshop in Ottawa.
Space is still available for all course dates listed, unless otherwise noted.
By the end of this seminar, you will be able to:
- Communicate your new management perspective
- Apply techniques for re-framing your relationships with co-workers
- Understand what your new team needs from you
- Decide what you need from your team
- Apply assertive communication skills to difficult situations
- Give regular feedback on performance
- Manage team meetings effectively
How to Develop a Management Perspective
- Moving from in-depth knowledge to understanding the overall organizational picture
- Representing senior management decisions and policy
- Getting the right balance between advocating for the team and advocating for senior management
Communication Skills for Handling Changes in Relationships
- Presenting yourself assertively as the new leader – without embarrassment or apology
- Setting boundaries without causing upset
- Modelling a professional and positive attitude
- Dealing assertively with office gossip
Understanding What the Team Needs from You
- 6 important things your team needs from you
- Giving continuous feedback on performance to each team member and to the team as a whole
- Giving praise and recognition
- Giving constructive feedback
Deciding What You Need from the Team
- Moving from a need for friendship to a need for respect
- Applying techniques for building trust and respect
Communicating Effectively through Team Meetings
- Identifying the need to take control of team meetings right from the start
- Applying guidelines for running effective, well-managed team meetings
- Communicating your expectations to the team clearly
- Being clear about what you can and cannot do in your new role
- Rotating the chairing of team meetings without losing control
Once you register the first attendee, you’ll have the ability to add additional attendees or purchase other workshops
Who Should Attend This Course?
This workshop will benefit anyone who has recently become, or shortly will become, a new leader, and wants the tools to make the transition from co-worker to team leader.
Does this Course Address your Competency Development Needs?
This training workshop addresses:
• Achievement / Results Orientation
• Adaptability / Flexibility
• Analytical Thinking
• Change Management and Leadership
• Conflict Resolution
• Decision Making / Decisiveness
• Dealing with Difficult Situations
• Engagement and Motivation
• Impact and Influence
• Innovation and Initiative
• Interpersonal Relations
• Management Excellence
• Planning / Organizing
• Problem Solving
• Relationship / Network Building
• Strategic Thinking
• Teamwork and Cooperation
• Values and Ethics
• Working with Data and Numbers
• Working with Others