Advanced Business Writing (P785)
Writing That Means Business
This course will be scheduled in the fall of 2019. For more information contact Sophie at 613-234-2020, ext. 21.
Effective business writing helps you get your job done by showing you how to communicate effectively and appropriately. You will learn how to organize your thoughts, use appropriate wording, target your communication, and write clearly. Good business writing brings results, so it’s worth learning how to do it well.
This seminar will help you become a better communicator. That means you will be able to work more effectively and make life easier for your associates. Everyone will appreciate the effort you put into writing appropriately.
This workshop will include lecture, practice exercises, and discussion. Those taking this course will be provided with a workbook of notes, exercises and references.
This is a one-day workshop in Ottawa.
Space is still available for all dates listed, unless otherwise noted.
By the end of this seminar, you will be able to:
- Communicate more effectively
- Write for the intended reader
- Include the appropriate information
- Organize your writing effectively
- Use the proper wording
- Be concise
- Use plain language
- Write more professionally
- Be more confident about your writing
Please follow and like us:
First Things First
- Know your reader
- Use house style and templates
- Research as needed
- Understand how people read today
- Put your message up front
- Use sections appropriately
- Use topic sentences effectively
Putting it in Writing
- Use clear and concise English
- Write effectively
- Ensure you have included the right amount of information
- Understand why good grammar matters
- Construct paragraphs and sentences for maximum readability
Making it Look Good
- Use Word styles to your advantage
- Use your departmental or house style for a coherent look
- Understand why readers need white space
Who Should Attend This Course?
Everyone whose work requires them to do a significant amount of business writing.
Does This Course Address Your Competency Development Needs?
This training workshop addresses:
• Achievement/Results Orientation
• Analytical Thinking
• Change Management and Leadership
• Client Service
• Dealing with Difficult Situations
• Document Use
• Engagement and Motivation
• Impact and Influence
• Innovation and Initiative
• Interpersonal Relations
• Learning Support/Continuous Learning
• Management Excellence
• Policy Development
• Reading Skills
• Relationship/Network Building
• Risk Management and Assessment
• Strategic Thinking
• Writing Skills