Moving Effectively Through Change Individually and as a Team
The Change Cycle™ is a change management model that helps individuals and teams deal with change pragmatically, resourcefully, and effectively. Change is the result of chance, choice, progress, or crisis, and is often unpredictable. People react, respond, and adjust to change in a sequence of six predictable stages (Loss, Doubt, Discomfort, Discovery, Understanding, and Integration) which identify the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors associated with each stage of change. There is no better map to assist individuals in navigating through the changes in their work and life.
“Dealing with organizational change – big or small – is about getting everyone through the emotion and commotion with minimal damage to their blood pressure, career, relationships, and confidence.” – Ann Salerno, Co-Founder of The Change Cycle™
Change is a time-consuming distraction. It takes people away from their regular work, it slows productivity, and it often creates conflict. You may even notice an increase in absenteeism during periods of change. The reality is that some people will never be happy with the change being implemented, and that’s okay. At some point, though, they have to learn to live with the new reality. The more quickly they can do that, the sooner your organization can get back to being productive.
These workshops are offered within organizations for groups of 5 people or more.
The Change Cycle™ training will benefit any organization, regardless of the type of change being implemented. It applies to restructuring, HR policy changes, IT projects, relocation, new leadership, organizational culture changes, and so on.
This workshop is recommended for the entire team – including the managers. Participants will complete the Locator™ online assessment tool in advance of the session to better understand which stage they are in, in regards to a particular change they are experiencing. Although their responses are strictly confidential, we can provide a group report that indicates how many members of your team are in each stage – no names will be disclosed (see sample).
At the workshop, your team will learn about the six stages of change (Loss, Doubt, Discomfort, Discovery, Understanding, and Integration) and the thoughts and feelings that drive each. This helps them understand what questions to ask, what actions to take, and the exit strategies unique to each stage. The goal is not to rush through the Change Cycle™, but to efficiently get to a point where everyone can live with the new reality.
At the end of this one-day workshop, participants will be able to:
• Understand how the brain processes change
• Explain why change happens
• Read their Locator™ profile result
• Separate the predictable and unpredictable characteristics of change
• Navigate through the six stages of the Change Cycle™
• Understand what’s driving people’s thoughts, feelings, and behaviours during times of change
• Apply the language of change to improve communication
• Differentiate between real vs. imagined fear
• Avoid getting caught in the danger zone
• Overcome the biggest challenge of each stage
• Ask key questions and identify the best exit strategies for each stage
• Understand how to live with the new reality of any change – even if they never like the change
After attending the session above, managers will appreciate this advanced course aimed at providing them the tools they need to help their team through change. First, we must learn to manage ourselves through change, then we can learn to manage others.
In this session, participants will learn how to communicate the change effectively to reduce the negative impact on the team and the organization. Since people progress through change at different rates, they will learn to recognize the typical language used by people in each stage. This will help them address the unique challenges of each stage, to better understand what questions to ask, and to identify the exit strategies that will help individuals move on to the next stage.
Participants will also learn how to deal with resistance, and the “us vs. them” mentality. Through case studies, they will learn to identify the dominant emotions and motivations for each stage. They’ll learn strategies to manage not only the people, but the tasks and results of the change as well.
At the end of this half-day workshop, participants will be able to:
• Communicate the change effectively to reduce negative reactions
• Help people move through the Change Cycle™ more effectively
• Identify key questions to ask when navigating change
• Build trust in the face of change
• Pick up on the words, phrases, and behaviours that indicate which stage a person might be in
• Motivate others through each stage – even when everyone is in different stages
• Manage both the people (one-on-one and in teams), and the tasks/results through change
• Understand how to deal with productivity issues that may arise during change
• Improve decision-making during change
• Create an Action Plan for each stage
• Practice managing others through change with case studies
The only prerequisite is The Change Cycle™ for Teams (outlined above).
For more information on these workshops, please contact:
Tel: 613-234-2020, ext. 21
Copyright protected ©CCMC Inc. All Rights Reserved. Unlawful to reproduce without permission. www.ChangeCycle.com